Thursday, May 5, 2011

I need to vent!

Ok, so who has been watching that new show "Extreme Couponing" on TLC? I admit, I have been watching-honestly, the show makes me SO mad! I think my hubby gets more annoyed at my sudden loud outbursts and incessant commentary directed to the television- because they can hear me, right? (Now you know how I feel when you watch sports honey!)

What makes me so angry you ask? Well for starters, not every grocery store in the US doubles every coupon! There is no way I could ever get a $600+ grocery bill down  to less than $20 using coupons here in SoCal!

Another issue I have with the store is the obvious- these people are organized hoarders! 50 bottles of dish soap? 100 sticks of deodorant? 67 bottles of mustard? Yes, it looks so pretty in those nice little rows on those plastic shelves in your bedroom, but, seriously?!?! Does one really need all that stuff??? The answer is no! In my opinion, these people have a shopping addiction and get a high from getting stuff for free, whether or not they need it or not!

The show also neglects to show how much money these people are spending on coupon clipping services and how many "free item" coupons they are using. If you coupon long enough, and follow money saving blogs and sites, you can get coupons for free things all the time. Manufacturers like to give out freebies of new products for people to try, in efforts to spread the word and have the consumer tell people all about it. If you watch on the show when the cashier is scanning the coupons, you will see "FREE" coupons in the pile, clear as day! Why don't they mention this? Because it would take away from the "reality" and will make the viewer think that not everyone can drastically decrease their grocery bills like those on the show, if they don't have those coupons for freebies.

My biggest problem with this show is fact that the majority of the food items these people are getting for free is all crap. Sorry to be blunt, but come on! Soda, processed snacks, candy, cake mix- all crap. When I go to the store, I buy a variety of healthy fresh foods and try to limit my junk purchases. Don't get me wrong, I won't pass up a  good deal on cereal and fruit snacks, but at least I know that my kids will also be getting food with nutritional value in their diets as well. I challenge these extreme couponers to go shopping, get all their stuff for free, then go home and make a healthy, nutritious meal for their family using only what they got at the store. It isn't possible.  Watch the show. Do you ever see a single fresh fruit, vegetable, or lean meat in their carts? Never.

I like to call myself a "practical couponer." I use coupons paired with store promotions and sales to save my family money on items we need and will use. I can not rationalize clearing a shelf of mustard just because I have coupons that will make it free! Where is the logic in that? I understand some people use these items to donate to food banks and whatnot, and I am all about that. If I had 40 extra hours in my week, no kids, and no social life, I may do the same. Unfortunately, with 4 growing kids and a hectic schedule between school, sports, and a life, it isn't a priority for me. By all means, if you are able to donate free items to those in need, go for it! Just be respectful to those at the grocery store who may need just one bottle of mustard from the shelf you just cleared.

If you watch the show, what do you think? Tell me about it, I'd love to hear what you have to say!
-Ambra

No comments: